close
Brandenburg Gate

As Berlin's only remaining city gate, it is the true symbol of the city. The sandstone construction, built from 1788–91 by C.G. Langhans, consists of 12 Doric columns and is based on the propylaeum of the Acropolis in Athens. On both sides, six Doric columns support the 11 meter-deep transverse beam, dividing the gate into five passageways. In 1794 the building was crowned with the quadriga and goddess of victory created by Schadow, which face eastwards towards the city center.

In the 18th and 19th centuries, the gate served as the entry-point to the city. Outside the city, the Tiergarten was a hunting ground for the King.

 

Brandenburg Gate 1934
The Nazi party used the Brandenburg gate as symbol of German National strength and organized torch marches and military rallies through the gate.
Brandenburg Gate and Berlin Wall (c. 1965)

Originally, the Brandenburg Gate was surrounded by further buildings which were destroyed in the war. In the 1960s, because it was situated in the no man's land just behind the Wall, it became symbolic of the division of the city. The empty region around the wall was monitored 24 hours a day, and city was divided by watch-towers and barbed wire.

Brandenburg Gate 1989

After the Fall of the Wall, the Gate was reopened on December 22, 1989.

The famous sign says: "Attention! You are NOW leaving West Berlin"

 

Pariser Platz today

As part of the reconstruction of Pariser Platz, new buildings have been added which are based on their historic forebears. Pariser Platz forms the link between the Brandenburg Gate and Unter den Linden. Today, villas, embassies and the luxurious Hotel Adlon are situated around the square. The Liebermann House and the Sommer House, newly constructed to the left and right of the Brandenburg Gate, were conceived as a pair, and their design is based on the previous buildings created by Stüler.